Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

Home sweet home

Saturday, August 22, 2009


It has been a soggy few days since I have returned to Maryland from California leaving me little time to bird. It is nice to hear the familar sounds of eastern birds once again. Even the common birds that I often take for granted such as the Northern Cardinal, Northern Mockingbird, and the Carolina Wren are welcomed sounds. I am sure all birders are familiar with the joy of seeing birds in their bins that they have not seen in a while or do not see often. Right now that is the case with all Maryland birds and with migration approaching, I predict a joyous fall. I took a trip to one of my favorite spots (Greenbury Point) to look for early migrants and although I found none I still managed to get some nice photos of some missed resident birds.


An adult male American Goldfinch






Juvenile Eastern Kingbird






Northern Mockingbird




Juvenile American Robin




A Juvenile Eastern Bluebird




Solitary Sandpiper




I then ran into Hal Wierenga and Lynn Davidson who were to lead a butterfly trip to the eastern shore but were rerouted to Greenbury Point due to poor weather on the coast. I gladly accepted their invitation to join the group and was thrilled to have nearly 15 species of life butterflies pointed out to me. (Maybe this will be a new hobby)


A Red Spotted Purple butterfly at Greenbury Point




A Variegated Fritillary, Greenbury Point




Sachem, Greenbury Point




Pearl Crescent, Greenbury Point




Sachem, Greenbury Point




Monarch, Greenbury Point


1 comments to

Home sweet home

:

Dawn Fine said...

Just found your blog via Nervous Birds..look forward to following your birding and butterflys.